Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Follow the Prophet, He Knows The Way


Well, this week was nice I guess. We didn't get very much done. I went on exchange with a missionary from Shrewsbury. That was nice, but we didn't get much done. It made me very grateful to have a companion that knows the doctrines of the church and has good teaching skills. 

Most of our investigators right now are hiding from us. They all want to set up appointments for two or more weeks in the future, or they just won't set up an appointment and say come whenever, which is fine, but then it's really hard to bring a fellowshipper 'whenever' and a lot of them are women. :/ So it's kinda tough right now. 

On Monday, we taught a lady who was very nice and she goes to a Christian church already. She believed that all we had to do to make it to heaven was to say a prayer and then we were saved. Haha. We talked to her for a super long time and by the end, she actually referenced the same scripture to say that you DO need to keep being good after you are 'saved' that she had just used a few minutes ago to say the opposite. It was great, she is so nice. I hope she gets baptized. 

On Saturday, we went to one of Elder V's old investigator's baptism. It was really fun, and Elder F, my old companion, was there. It was great because we could both laugh at the silly things some certain missionaries were doing with guitars together… :) This week, the lesson I am learning is that some people are …. There are people in our own church, even missionaries, who will study the scriptures, and then they come up with their own ideas and start to apostatize just a little bit. I don't get it. I heard a missionary talking about doctrine, and another missionary disagreed because he didn't know as much, and when the first missionary and myself started backing up his point with the teachings of an apostle, he said that you can't trust the apostles. I am still really mad at him about that one. Like, really mad. That is an incredibly prideful statement to make, I don't care what it was about or whose side you're on, you don't say that you know better than the apostles. Ever. 

So that's what I'm working on this week. Learning how to teach people lovingly not to spread apostasy, because for me, that is something to get angry about, and it probably isn't. I need to learn to be more Christlike and it never gets easier, but I know the church is true, and I know that the men who lead it ARE inspired by God to say what they say. I know that "whether by [the Lord's] own voice or by the voice of [His] servants, it is the same."(D&C 1:38) "Be careful you don’t apostatize."(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Chapter 27)  https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-joseph-smith/chapter-27?lang=eng


Have a nice week, bye!

Hey, I forgot, I also went to an Apostolic Faith Mission service. That was really fun. They just sang hymns almost the whole time. It was great. They had a sermon called "The Final Restoration of Spiritual Blindness." It was beautiful. My favorite quote was, "Jesus's trash is better than Bethsaida's treasure!!!"



-- 
Elder Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment