Monday, December 22, 2014

The Cough Syrup Lesson



Do you know the feeling you get when you have to eat some nasty cherry flavored cough syrup, and it's gross, and you do it anyways, and it sticks all over your mouth and you think, wow, I'm glad I got that over with, and then you remember that you have to eat two spoonfuls? And then you choke down the second one, and try to get rid of the nasty taste of it with orange juice and rediscover the nasty flavour of orange juice and cough syrup and that in fact, orange juice does nothing to remove the nasty from your mouth, it just enhances it? And then as soon as you start feeling comfortable and you think the taste has officially gone away, and you realize that it's time for your second dose? Well, that's kinda how my week has been.
Actually, that makes it sound really bad, it isn't that bad, but it's been interesting. In fact, this week we actually went to the temple. That was good. That was like when I realized that I had cough medicine and that I could get better. I love the temple. It teaches about the Atonement. If you go to the temple, you will get better. It's good news. The temple is full of good news, and it's full of things that aren't bad, because Satan doesn't have a recommend.
This week, we have been doing missionary work. It hasn't been too hard, in fact, we haven't even done much tracting yet. (Although it is pretty funny, Elder H. told me last night that he had done more tracting this week than any week before on his mission. He's in for a surprise…) 

I guess the best way to describe why this week was like cough syrup is because this week, is to quote one of my other companions that I did a lot of tracting with. He said that if the work is going bad and you have a good companion, it's not too big of a deal, but even if the work is going well and you have a tough companion, it's not very fun. I like Elder H, he's a lot of fun, but he's very new, and his ideas about how things should be done are pretty different because he doesn't have a lot of experience. In some ways it's good, and I think it can actually help the missionary work go better because obviously, the genius of the church is that it uses imperfect people to bring about a perfect plan. We need diversity and all of that to teach us from each others perspectives, and Elder H. makes sure I get to know his point of view very well. ;)
So that has been my medicine this week. Learning to accept other people's ideas, even when they're not ones I agree with, and learning to be humble. It's one thing to know what you're supposed to do, and it's another to actually do it. I love not being sick, I hate cough syrup. I know cough syrup is good for me, but I don't like eating it all. And then I like to vent, thanks for listening, sorry for the long boring email of wallowing in self-pity.
Next week will be nice. I'm looking forward to Christmas! It's going to be great! I'm happy, even if it didn't sound like it today, Bye!

Elder Ferguson


**********************************

From Amy (Elder Ferguson's mom):
Here's a cute little email Elder Ferguson's little sister wrote to him yesterday and his response to the letter.  I couldn't resist sharing it. 

From Rachel:
How are you? Are you excited for Christmas? I am excited to see you on Christmas! Mary Christmas. do you now where you are going next yet?

I'm hoping I get a puppy for Christmas.  Mom said she already told Santa no though.  I also want an Elsa shirt or doll.  I also want an Olaf pillow pet.   That's from the new Disney movie you haven't seen yet.  I hope you like the presents we sent you.

What's your favorite food so far?  Did you know it's almost the end of the year?  Thanks for the Christmas card ryan lol.
 (There was no card)

 Rachel 

Elder Ferguson's Response:

Rachel,
I'm good. I'm excited for Christmas. I don't know where I'm going yet. Tell mom that she should get you a puppy because Santa's not going to get you one. I'm going to watch Frozen on Christmas. My favorite food is curry. I didn't know it's almost the end of the year thanks for reminding me. ByE!


--Elder Ferguson


No comments:

Post a Comment